Lesser-Known Risk Factors for Gum Disease
If bacteria-laden dental plaque is not removed from tooth surfaces, it causes infection and inflammation of the soft tissues that support teeth. Because of this, people who don’t brush and floss their teeth can end up with gingivitis and periodontitis. If left untreated, tooth loss often follows. Although most dentists will agree that it’s the most important cause of periodontal disease, bad oral hygiene isn’t the only culprit. You may not be aware of the following risk factors for gum disease, but they could compromise your future oral health.
- Medications, including antidepressants, contraceptives, and heart medications, can negatively affect gum health and increase the risk of gum disease.
- Smoking and tobacco use is one of the most significant risk factors for gum disease.
- Emotional and mental stress contribute to periodontal disease risk by making it more difficult for the body to fight infections, including gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Systemic diseases that cause inflammatory reactions are risk factors for gum disease. These illnesses include diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Obesity has been linked to increased risk of periodontal disease.
- Teeth grinding and clenching strain the supporting tissues that hold teeth in place and can speed up the progression of gum disease and destruction.
- Genetics may be a risk factor for gum disease for some people. Genetic testing and early professional intervention can help those with genetic tendencies for gum disease keep their teeth.
- Nutritional deficiencies caused by a poor diet affect the body’s immune system, making it difficult to fight infections such as gingivitis and periodontitis.
- Studies show that more than 70 percent of people over the age of 65 have gum disease.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Pikesville, call Dental One Associates of Pikesville today at (443) 898-1231 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Pikesville. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Pikesville, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Pikesville.